Dean Horatio Geoghegan
Father Horatio Geoghegan came to St Mary’s Mission in Kyneton in April, 1856 and was appointed as a Rural Dean in 1875.. The following (abridged) account of his life was the subject of a three-part article in successive editions of The Advocate of July 1911. We have omitted details relating to his various building initiatives, as these are dealt with elsewhere.
He was the first cousin of Dr. Bonaventure Geoghegan, first Vicar-General Fr. Geoghegan was a graduate of Dublin University, which he had entered intending to become a Franciscan Friar. He had selected his cell when his cousin arrived from Victoria to secure interests for the Victorian Missions. He resolved to emigrate, and came out with Dr. Geoghegan in an emigrant ship in 1850, Dr. Geoghegan being chaplain. Fr. Geoghegan, then only a Deacon, finished his theological course in Melbourne, and, in Bishop Goold’s absence, was ordained in Hobart by the late Dr. Wilson, Bishop of Hobart. When he returned to Victoria he said his first Mass in St. Francis’ Church, and, being a thorough Greek scholar and a mathematician of the first order, he had the supervision of the Theological College. Then Fr. Geoghegan went to Geelong till 1856, when he was transferred to Bacchus Marsh, and after a week there was sent to Kyneton.

Small in stature and slenderly built, Fr. Geoghegan had a very youthful appearance, and often used to tell with great glee how, one wet night, going into St. Francis’ in his soutane, and with his cloak or poncho, which afterwards became so familiar in Kyneton, drawn round him and wringing wet, a woman tapped him on the arm and said, “Go home, little boy, and change your clothes ; you’ll catch your death of cold.” Those who attended his first Mass at Geelong afterwards said they thought he was celebrating it on his knees.
Some idea of the strenuous nature of the labours of the pioneer priests may be gauged from the fact that Fr. Geoghegan has been known to travel on horseback on a hot summer’s day from Kyneton to Gisborne and back, and then to Mia Mia and back to Kyneton, in all seventy-five miles. His black pony Jack and he were known all over the district, for he never refused a sick call, however exhausted he might be. Jack was his faithful friend, on whom he never used either whip or spur. He used to tell how,one pitch-black night, travelling through the Black Forest, and riding carefully along, when Jack suddenly stopped dead. Finding it useless to urge him to proceed, he dismounted, to find that in the darkness he had taken the wrong turning, and that at his horse’s feet swirled a creek in flood. Another night he was called to the death-bed of a woman who lived on Mount Macedon. The night was very wild, but he and Jack negotiated the track safely. His holy office finished, they returned to Kyneton. A few weeks after, he was touched to the heart to find that a woman residing at the foot of Mount Macedon, fearful lest any harm should happen the “dear little Father,” had followed him on foot to the hut door, and, waiting till the sacred office was done, had again shepherded him down the lonely mountain side.
On another occasion lie was riding through the Black Forest at night when a bushranger rushed out on the road, caught hold of his bridle, and called upon him to “bail up.” “What’s the matter, my child?” quietly asked little Fr.Geoghegan. The effect was magical. Instantly the highwayman loosened his hold on the bridle, and ejaculating,”Good heavens, a priest!” ran off like a deer.’
Leaving the account in The Advocate, we can conclude with some extracts from Violet Ramsdale’s account (taken from the official records of St Mary’s Mission):
July 29th 1895 – Mrs Gleeson, the housekeeper, brought a cup of tea to the Dean as she usually did. He felt tired so she left him to rest and returned a couple of times to find him still sleeping. When she decided to remove the cup of tea, she found him not sleeping but had passed away peacefully.
For his funeral, a great procession was formed in Ebden Street and marched through Piper, Mollison, Baynton, Powlett and Hutton Streets, back to the Church where Archbishop Carr officiated at the grave site. Hundreds were unable to enter the Church and the funeral service was attended by 2,000 people. The Incumbent and Vestry of the local Church of England plus Clergymen and Elders of the local Presbyterian Church marched in the funeral procession. The bell at St Paul’s Church of England was tolled at intervals. His body was interred in the “beloved church’ he had laboured in for so long.